Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Daytrip to the coast, part 2 - Bayfront Stroll


Newport's Bayfront is one of my favorite places on the coast. It's a working seaport that has managed to blend perfectly with tourism.

The side of the street closest to the Yaquina Bay has commercial seafood processing plants and places that book charter fishing trips, and across the street are art galleries, gift shops, candy stores, and other touristy things. On both sides of the street you'll find cafes, restaurants, and coffee shops that will gladly feed you seafood caught that day. It's an amazing place.

The building with the whales on it is part of Trident Seafood's processing plant. It's next to a fishing charter office, which is next to Mo's Restaurant.


You can eat it in a cafe or you can take some home. Your choice.


In the Midwest, you learn what to do in the event of a tornado. On the Oregon Coast, you learn what to do in the event of a tsunami. I'm not worried. When considering the frequency of tsunamis vs tornadoes... well, you can't even compare the two.


Anyone can go crabbing with the right equipment. I've always wanted to rent a crab pot and go crabbing, but never seem to arrive in town early enough to do it. It's on my wish list, though. This is one of many crab pots stacked against one of the commercial fishing buildings. 


There are several charter companies offering deep sea fishing tours, and my friends who have done this return with tuna, halibut, salmon, and other delicacies. As for me, I'm not so much of a fisherman, and would prefer to buy my fish off the docks.


This guy was making saltwater taffy, and glob of taffy he was rolling up looked like it might be a good 50lbs. From the sidewalk, we were in a group of people peering through the window, watching him roll up the orange and yellow taffy, then hoist it into the machine where it was rolled into a skinny rope, cut, and wrapped.


This gift shop's signs remind me of the old Burma Shave signs.


Yes, of course this is real. We are, after all, in the Pacific Northwest.
I'd kinda like to attend the conference, just out of curiosity.


Looks like the octopus is helping the poor scuba diver to descend beneath the sea.


Can you see the sign on the sidewalk to the left of this mural of the orca whales? "Live Crab," it says. I kick myself every time for not bringing a cooler. I'd love to buy some live crab and bring it home.

No, silly, not to keep as a pet. To cook for dinner.
Tomorrow, I'll show you who's selling the live crab. It's part of the Newport experience.





by P






If you missed the other posts from this daytrip, click on a picture below to see more.


Bayfront Bayfront Stroll

Working Port Boiler Bay

Taft District Wildlife

Beachcombing




2 comments:

  1. These gorgeous, vibrant images fill my heart and soul with wanderlust. One day I would love to take a road trip to USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome–such great photos and info. Every time I read one of your posts, I want to go to that place tomorrow. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete